The family of a toddler left badly burned by bleach in a nursery accident have received a five-figure pay out for damages.
Blake Nilssen was in the ‘baby room’ at his nursery in Aberdeen, Scotland when he toppled over the unattended bucket while trying to stand up.
The corrosive liquid poured onto him, but when staff realised they did not seek medical advice.
They covered him in paper towels, but when they removed them it ripped off blisters that started to form.
The Care Inspectorate upheld multiple complaints against Little Dreams nursery in Aberdeen and ordered bosses to make immediate changes due to the incident on November 4, 2021.
A legal action against the facility has now been settled, with compensation held in a trust for Blake until he reaches the ages of 16.
Blake’s mum Ellie, 28, said: ‘At the time I said this incident was indefensible and I still feel that way. There really was a sense that it shocked parents all over the country.
‘Many people reached out with concern and support.
‘I am still disappointed in the nursery’s reaction to everything. Even when presented with evidence – like photos of my burned and blistered baby – they tried to deny or downplay their failings.’
Blake’s family accused staff of negligence for using boiling water and bleach in the first place, for leaving the bucket where a baby could easily reach it, and then for not calling 999.
His parents immediately took him to A&E when they saw how badly he was hurt, claiming that he ‘lost consciousness a few times’ on the way.
Once he arrived at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, medics repeatedly rinsed Blake in a special shower room over 90 minutes and monitored the pH of his skin.
A plastic surgeon burst the blisters and treated them with aloe vera gel before bandaging affected areas.
Blake was also given small doses of morphine to ease the pain and help him sleep as he stayed at ARI for observation.
The next day, he was put under general anaesthetic for a ‘skin scrub’, and his second degree burns were dressed in six layers of bandages to aid healing and prevent infection.
Ellie says little Blake, now two, is still uncomfortable around liquids to this day.
She added: ‘Thankfully Blake has responded well to medical treatment but his recovery is not over.
‘We still see some signs of emotional trauma, especially around water, but we’re hopeful he will calm over time and things can improve for him.
‘We’re grateful to everyone who has helped us from friends and family, to NHS staff who treated Blake’s injuries to our legal team who helped hold the nursery accountable.
‘As a family we now just want to try and put this painful episode behind us and look forwards so we request that our privacy is now respected.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.